Monday, January 16, 2012

Knock Your socks off Loaded fruit & veggie muffin recipe

I am headed out of town this weekend for a SimplyFun incentive trip and leadership training. I'm a little nervous to say the least. I've never left Fiona for more than a few hours - I'm sure she and Craig will get along fine, despite my wanting to believe that they would be reduced to a life of microwaved tater tots and chicken nuggets. In my own personal quest to feel like a good mommy and wife, I'm preparing some food for them to eat while I'm away. I wanted to make something that Fiona and Craig could both eat and that would be easy - that is definitely key for husbands... food must be able to be prepared in 2 minutes or less, have no more than 3 ingredients and be in plain sight.

Another important factor is the quality of the food - this is typically more my concern - "how to get the vegetables in the mouth" and not have Fiona feed them to Rigby. Which she figured out all too quickly, is her escapegoat for less-than-favorite foods. Feeding your family healthy food, fast is always on my mind... and because I also love to cook rich food - like "paula dean" rich... who, not-so-coincidentally just admitted to having type II diabetes - this should be a big "RED FLAG for me and my love to cook unbelievable rich fabulous food - I even plate my nice dinner all fancy and have been known to smack Craig's hand if he dares disturb my masterpieces.

In my journey, I'm finding it's going to be not just me having to redefine my exercise routine (I'm even standing while I write this so I don't get lazy on the couch), but having to redefine one of my loves - for cooking. I've subscribed to a bunch of paleo friendly websites who spit out recipes 10x a day - which is great. It gets me thinking about healthy alternatives. Is Paleo something I will probably do 100%... no. I've done it in the past, it is fabulous and I felt great - but it is very time consuming and not so realistic when feeding my hungry husband and a picky toddler. But it does have really important nutritional emphasis such as "if you can eat it raw, it's probably ok" "If you can't hunt it or gather it, don't eat it"... "eat fruits, vegetables, proteins & nuts first" So, back to my point, which evidentally I lost a long time ago... I'm trying to learn to love cooking super healthy and lean - find joy and excitement out of healthy, lean recipes.

So, trying to make an easy, quick fairly healthy breakfast for Craig to warm or serve while I'm gone... I came up with this recipe for muffins... and holy crap, it is deeeeelicious - the most moist,  flavorful light muffins. MMMmmm

4 eggs -
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup coconut oil - softened or warm
2/3 cup applesauce
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 and 1/2 large bananas - very ripe
3/4 cup carrots ground on a microplane
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg,
1 tsp allspice

2 cups fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries - fresh, washed and dried.

Beat the first 6 ingredients together in a mixture until thoroughly mixed, then add in carrots, bananas and zucchini. Once blended add dried ingredients and mix - if batter is too thin or thick add applesauce or wheat flour until you reach the consistency you desire. Fold in fresh berries.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

You should make these... you can thank me later ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment